- Prerequisites: MUS 20 and MUS 25. MUS 20 may be exempted by a grade of 5 on the AP Music Theory exam. MUS 20 and MUS 25 may both be exempted by an exam administered by the music department.
- Music Theory: Minimum of two courses from MUS 21–29 except MUS 25.
- Time, Place, Culture: Minimum of two courses from MUS 40–49.
- Individual Instruction Program (IIP): Minimum of one course from MUS 53–58 or MUS 60–68. A course within this requirement may be repeated for additional major credit up to four times.
- Ensemble Performance: MUS 50, MUS 59, or participation for at least three terms in a Hopkins Center music ensemble. A course within this requirement may be repeated for additional major credit up to four times.
- Culminating Experience: Music majors are required to take the music Proseminar (MUS 99) to fulfill the culminating experience.
- Keyboard Proficiency: Passing MUS 53 (individual piano lessons) or passing a keyboard proficiency exam administered by the Music Department. Students taking the keyboard proficiency exam must do so no later than the spring term of their third year.